This is an absolutly gorgeous recipe from Donna Hay and just perfect for this cold Winter’s day!
I made this soup a day after having steamed a chicken for a previous dinner, so I used the remaining left over chicken and I used the bones to make my stock.
All the pantry items are available at Scoop Wholefoods.
- 1 tablespoon Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 white onion finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic crushed
- raw cashew nuts
- 1 cup yellow split peas
- 1/2 cup unsalted raw cashews
- 1.5 litres chicken stock
- 2 x 200g chicken breast fillets
- 500g cauliflower chopped
- Sea Salt and Cracked Pepper to taste
- 1/4 cup Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 2 cloves garlic thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon sunflower seeds
- 2 tablespoons pumpkin seeds
- 1 teaspoon sesame seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- Heat oil in large saucepan over medium heat. Add coriander and cumin and cook, stirring for 30 seconds or until fragrant.
- Add onion and garlic and cook for 4-6 minutes.
- Add cauliflower, split peas, cashews, salt, pepper and stock and increase hear to high and bring to the boil.
- Cover with lid, reduce heat to medium and cook for 30 minutes.
- Add chicken, cover and cook for 12 minutes.
- Remove soup from heat, cover and stand for 5 minutes.
- Remove chicken, set aside to cool slightly before shredding.
- Use a stick blender to blend the remaining soup until smooth.
- To make the spiced seeds, heat the oil over high heat in a pan. Add the garlic, pumpkin seeds, sunflower seeds and sesame seeds and cook for 1 minute until golden – stir constantly or seeds can burn very easily. Add the coriander and cumin and stir to combine.
- Divide soup between bowls and top with the shredded chicken and spiced seed.